Our Trainee Program
The Picton Castle training program offers paying sail trainees an opportunity to sail around the world as deckhands on a traditional square-rigged ship.
Everyone on board participates in the ship's operation: handling sails, scrubbing the deck, taking a turn at the wheel, raising anchor, hauling on lines, helping in the galley, going aloft (optional), or keeping lookout. There are training classes in seamanship and navigation, plenty of opportunity to learn square-rig sailing and to explore exotic tropical ports and islands.
No sailing experience is needed.
Picton Castle offers a global sail training program and is committed to providing healthy, respectful, deep multicultural experiences and exchanges during our port/island visits and while at home at sea. We know that diversity is a strength and we are committed to inclusion across race, age, gender, religion, identity, experience, culture and nationality. This commitment is reflected in the average make-up of our crew and in the safe and healthy environment we create on board for all our crew to learn and thrive.
Watch the Promotional Video
Who can be a Trainee
Qualified trainees are those who can meet the essential eligibility criteria for joining a voyage on the Picton Castle.
Trainees must be able to:
- Provide a doctor’s note attesting to good health and physical fitness
- Climb up and down steep ladders and stairways
- Maintain balance on slippery or uneven surfaces
- Lift, push, or carry
- Crouch, kneel, or crawl
- Stand for up to four hours on watch with minimal rest periods
- Distinguish objects and shapes at a distance
- Understand instruction and direction in English
- The ship is an English-speaking ship, and while full fluency is not a requirement, safety requires a minimum level of competency
- React to alarms (visual or audible) and instructions and follow emergency procedures
- Understand and comply with all provided health, safety and security information and directives
- Manage self-care including nutrition, hydration, personal hygiene, dressing appropriately for environmental conditions, health, prescribed medication
- Behave respectfully toward diversity on the ship and/or in the countries the ship visits, which includes people of all genders, sexual identities, races, ages, religions, politics, and cultural differences
On Voyages Over Three Months In Length
Individuals age 18+ (no couples, please*). We prefer trainees under age 40, though we accept older persons who are healthy and fit. It is a strenuous life. Trainees work hard on board and live in close quarters in tropical weather, so some discomfort is to be expected.
On Voyages Under Three Months In Length
Individuals ages 15+. Couples are welcome, as are parents with teens.
* Please review the Picton Castle Couples Policy for more details.
More in this Section
Around the World 2021-2022
Nova Scotia, Panama, Galapagos, French Polynesia, Fiji, Bali, South Africa, St. Helena, Caribbean, BermudaRead More >